The Three Little Kittens

The Three Little Kittens
Remarkably, they didn't lose their mittens!

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Typhoon = Toys 'R Us

It was a very rainy day, so we took the girls to TRU today. It was really nice - lots of cute toys - some you would find in America, but some I've never seen. All of the baby dolls were American looking. I didn't see any Asian dolls. That totally surprised me, but I've been told by several people here that the Japanese think blonde, blue-eyed people are the most beautiful :) Ai, one of the girls working at the Tokyu, wants to babysit the girls. She told me she loves children, especially American children. I laughed and told her that would get her in trouble :)

Toys 'R Us had these HUGE beetles, like we would have Hermit Crabs, in these little cages for sale - did I mention they were H-U-G-E!!! Of course, they also sold food, etc. for them. Of course, Izzy wants one.

After TRU, Sam drove us to Halo 2, which is an international food/misc. store. There wasn't a lot of American brands, but here is what I really noticed:

Small jar Old El Paso Picante Sauce=5.00
Small jar Ragu=5.00
Small jar of Smucker's Strawberry Jam=5.00
Square, yes SQUARE, watermelon=210.00 (I'll take a picture the next time I go).
1. Who would buy it?
2. What if you buy it, and it's not any good?
3. What will they do with it in a week? 50% off???
4. It had better be seedless for that price.

Most watermelons are going for around $9.00 right now for a small one - they are in season.

And the "Ewwww!" for the night - a packaged fish that was still breathing - very sad :(

We ate at the Hard Rock, Nagoya last night and Da Carlo's tonight. Da Carlo's honestly has the best pizza I've ever had. It is run by an Italian who speaks Japanese and Italian, but very little English. Sam also took us to a Mexican "place," which HE likes. The food was pretty good, but it made "hole-in-the-wall" look big.

I'm still amazed by the potty situation each day. Seems that there is always something new. I've been in several now that have a silver button on the floor - you just step on it to flush. Ok, why haven't all us American germ-phobes thought of this?!?

Izzy has been excited about all the cabs we've been taking. She told me a few weeks ago that she wanted to drive a cab when she grew up. So where do kids get these crazy ideas?? Anyway, you would be horrified, but they don't wear seat belts. I feel like a horrible mother, BUT it takes about 30 minutes to go 3 miles :)- honestly. When we're in the rental car, we wear them, but the cabs have these pretty, white lace seat covers, which cover the seat belts in back. The four Glenn girls can fit in the back, but there are only two seatbelts. So, of course I have my arm across the three of them the whole time.

And finally, they drive in the left side of the car, on the left side of the road. You probably knew this, BUT, did you know that their magazines open from the left side?? Just noticed this tonight :)

Of all the places to be, I'm so glad this is where God decided to put us. The Japanese are a very kind, helpful, and technologically advanced society - gadgets everywhere for everything. I'm proud to be American, but feel blessed to experience this culture. I have seen lots of Japanese wearing clothing with American flags - one guy was wearing jeans that were American flag. The Bon Jovi "look" is alive and well in Nagoya ;)

Loving it here, but missing you all.
~Michelle

8 comments:

Cindy Tucker said...

Are you kidding me about the magazines??? That's crazy!

Cindy Tucker said...

Please tell me that even though the magazines open from the back, that they still include all the juicy scoop on Paris, Lindsey, and Britney!

Mrs. Glenn said...

I knew you'd love that, Cindy :) They do have some old issues of People in the Exec. Lounge :)

Anonymous said...

I'm trying this again. For some reason it wouldn't let me post my comment. If you get to read it, YEAH! Ok, a square watermelon for 210.00! That's insane! Please do take a picture! I would probably be right at home reading the magazines since I always read them backwards anyway. lol

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah!!!! It worked!!

Granny said...

OK I typed a big long letter and then had to start over. But I do have my internet back on. I don't have my sewing machine set up yet and the floors really need a vac and shampoo. But we are getting there. I do have a purple Butterfly Bush in a plastic tup soaking up water to be potted tonight or in the morning when it cools off. Dad is walking the girls. He said Bandy really gives him a run for his money now.
I am so glad you are getting to study the Japanese culture and history. They were soooo nice to us when we were there. They love children!! They do wonderus things with horticulture. But food is expensive they don't have those big open prairies like we do.
About the magazines you know they may think we have it wrong since they were printing books long long before we were even a country. The more you learn about them you realize how young our country is.
I would have loved to been there when the girls found the big bug. I don't worry about them as much there as I did when they were here. Continue to have a great time. We love and miss you all very much.
Oh yes I finally got Dad to the VA clinic they were very nice offered to mail his prescriptions to him free. Oh he might need a consult to get the Aricept and Namenda but he could OK the Sertiline (the cheapest. He hasn't gotten it yet. I will probably have to take him to Dallas or Waco. I will when we get settled. The move was harder for him in some ways than I expected. He can not remember where the fridge is. He had one day that really seemed bad but getting to the back of the fence really was good for him. I had to drag him in. Now I have him putting away his stuff and if he gets lost I just take him and show him so he will learn it in time. If I try to do it myself he fusses he wants to learn where things are. IOI

Mrs. Glenn said...

Crack me up, Courtney! :)

Anonymous said...

Well said.