The Three Little Kittens

The Three Little Kittens
Remarkably, they didn't lose their mittens!

Thursday, August 28, 2008

A comment from Finbar

Finbar left a comment on our last post. I know some of you may not check those, so I wanted to make sure you got to read what he wrote. I'm very impressed with everything he and Christine (the other kindie teacher) are doing! The girls come home everyday excited and giddy about school. I have to say they LOVE the bus, too :) In just a week, I've already seen positive changes and growth in the girls. And, yes, I know that I need to post first day/week stories and photos. I promise I'll get there.
Here's what he wrote:

Hi from Finbar! (Mr. Burke) :-)

Thanks so much for providing the link here in your correspondence with me--this is a great family blog, especially the photos.

Your girls have gotten off to a great start--so great, in fact, that they have substantially eased my own efforts this year to have all the children become comfortable--in a matter of days! They are all very sociable and have already made several friends. And so talkative! I've already heard many things about Vanilla, including the shark story. Izzy, too, has settled in quite well.

We actually have 14 children in our classroom! And YES it is fantastic to have a teaching assistant with so few children; I don't know what I would do without her!

The name thing (Finbar) may be nontraditional, but so are most aspects of our program, which is influenced by the early childhood programs of Reggio Emilia, Italy. This is my background, so I'm excited to talk about it at Open House soon. Basically speaking, we (teachers) rely upon the children's own interests and questions to build integrated units of learning. We also stress communicating thoughts and understanding in numerous ways (not depending so much on the "3 R's", but through dramatic expression, song, visual arts, movement, etc.: helping children express themselves more capably than can be limited by their present limits linguistically and in terms of reading/writing). That said, the school as a whole is also heavily focused on literacy development from Pre-K.

So far, the triplets seem to have found themselves in a very comfortable space and atmosphere :-), and I hope it will help them continue to blossom! I'll check your blog now and again (but please don't let this stymie your communications with family and friends in *any* way--I'm pretty fine with doubts/worries/criticisms (I deal with it every year as a male early childhood teacher!). I like to stay informed of doings at home (I'm very keen on the home-school connection for children). Again, let me express great admiration for what you parents are accomplishing with these girls (triplets, Japan(!)). And thank you, again, for offering to be strongly involved with us!

:-) Finbar Burke

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How great!!! He sounds like just the perfect teacher for them especially Gracie. Once she gets accustom to him. I'm surprised to hear the girls are talkative?? Our shy little darlings!! He He. We knew they would enjoy and blossom in school. The one we are concerned about is Mom. How are you coping without the constant demands and joys. I'll bet your house is allready sparling clean from top to bottom. Love Mom

Cindy Tucker said...

Wow ... Finbar sounds like a wonderful teacher and the philosophy of the school sounds exactly like what Sophie, Izzy, and Gracie need.

It's kinda funny. I do remember a few shy moments with the girls YEARS ago, but I can't say I'm shocked to hear that they're a "talkative" - of course, I konw they are having a blast experiencing all kinds of new things.

I just do not understand enjoying the bus though - what's up with that? I guess I may have enjoyed it when I was that age too, but that certainly loses its appeal pretty quickly - good they can enjoy it now!

Are you finding fun things to fill your day? I bet time goes more quickly than you expected. We'll have to do the video conference thing soon!

=)Cindy