The Three Little Kittens

The Three Little Kittens
Remarkably, they didn't lose their mittens!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Spring is in the air: Sunny and 65!

Happy belated 4th Birthday to my precious niece, Livvy!!! I'm looking forward to seeing my nieces and nephews (and EVERYONE), and I know the Girls are going to love playing with their cousins!!

It was a gorgeous day today, so the Girls and I went out and planted seeds. Izzy wanted corn, Gracie wanted lavender, and Sophie picked Mirabilis. We also planted sunflower, cherry tomato, large tomato, dianthus, and morning glory seeds. We used small cups to start the seedlings. That way the girls can watch them grow a little. Of course, they helped me for about 15 minutes and then were off observing (harassing) spiders and other insects. Sophie was already out this evening checking on the seeds. It's still difficult for them to grasp the concept of a few weeks :) I also planted some cilantro. It is 498 yen for a small bunch, but it comes with the roots, so I kept them to plant. I think it will do really well, as I had one little stem survive the winter. If only I could find some jalapeno and green chile seeds, my salsa garden would be complete. We're going to one of the bigger flower/plant stores on Friday, so hopefully I can find some sort of hot pepper.

Saturday, we had a going-away party for Miss Ivana. I made chicken fajitas, tortilla soup, spanish rice, guacamole, salsa, 7-layer dip, spinach dip, my momma's scrumptious banana cake, and a few other things. It was fun providing our Japanese friends with their very first fajita and showing them how to "make" one. Akaya-san brought his mandolin and played and sang for us. He's really wonderful to listen to and actually plays in a country and western band. We also all got together and sang, "Happy Trails" to Ivana. We're so happy for her, but are going to miss her so much. It was really nice getting to take care of our Tokyu friends for a change - they have done so many wonderful things for us!!!

Sunday, we just chilled and played as a family. We went to Saizeriya to eat. The girls can get cheesy Foccacia bread. Sophie also wanted some sticky rice. She and Izzy both had a plate of fried shrimp, and Gracie had "pusketty." They ate every bite!!! Then we went to one of the many wonderful parks near us. We saw some beautiful, little (sparrow-sized), green birds. I took pictures, but Sam and I both were wishing we had the "big" camera with us. He bought this really nice, little compact camera, but lost it to his darling wife :) Anyway, the girls played in the bamboo "forest." They reminded me of kittens. They would run ahead and "hide," but between the CONSTANT movement and giggling...Sam and I really had to put our parent acting skills to the test - "Oh where can they be?" Finally, we made it to the playground, which is more of an obstacle course. They have assorted beams of different heights to walk on, a REALLY HIGH swinging bridge-type thing, and a rock-climbing wall with nets to climb on the other side and a slide. Poor Sam's nerves were totally shot in about 2 minutes. Izzy, would walk to the edge of the really high thing and lean over the edge, or shake it to see her sisters freak out. I really don't know where she gets that little ornery streak from???? Sam says she just gets that sadistic look (I call it a twinkle) in her eye, and when she's really naughty, she has this scary laugh to accompany it. We feared this would happen, but Izzy has officially crossed over to the dark side (temper tantrums, ignoring me, telling me, "no!"). They did really well on the climbing wall, and they have no problem scurrying up the nets. Such a cute sister/triplet moment - they would race to the top and then all three would put their legs and arms around the sister in front and slide down just squealing.

Speaking of squealing, their Granny Glenn sent them three new movies. One of them was THE NEW BARBIE MOVIE- 'Mariposa'!!!! Oh my gosh!!!! They squealed like I've never heard before. Gracie and Sophie are such girly girls. I swear by 9:00 A.M., Gracie has changed her outfits three times, and she will not leave the house without her pink, butterfly belt (which usually the butterfly buckle is on the side or completely in the back). Sophie loves to accessorize, and Izzy, again MY GIRL, digs through the dirty clothes to find the one pair of jeans that she really likes - comfort is of the utmost importance :)

We were driving the other day, and a lady was crossing the street (not in a crosswalk). No one was behind me, and we're usually not in a hurry, so I stopped and "motioned" for her to cross the street. Here's the conversation that followed:

Izzy: "Mommy did you use your hands because she can't hear you?"
Me: "Yes, Izzy."
Izzy: "Mommy, some people can't hear or talk, so they have to use their hands."
Me: "That's right, Izzy! Why do you think some people can't talk?"
Izzy: "They can't talk because someone 'stealeded' their voice!"
Me: "Oh my! So why do you think some people can't hear?"
Izzy: "Because their ears are broken."
Me: "How did their ears get broken?"
Izzy: "People screamed too loud into them."
Me: "So I guess we should be careful and not scream in people's ears."
Izzy, Gracie, & Sophie: (Giggle then enter blood-curdling screams)
Me: "I think that lady on the sidewalk just peed in her pants."
Izzy, Gracie, and Sophie: (Giggle, EXIT compassion, more screaming)
Me: "THAT'S ENOUGH!"
Repeat last two lines again.
Threaten to pull car over.
Giggling, but no more screaming.

Finally, I have to say how much I love my husband. He brings one of the Girls or me flowers at least once a week. I love always having fresh flowers in the house! He always tells me how much he loves what I cooked (even when I buy ground pork instead of hamburger). He can be such a "man" at times, but he does pretty well for one surrounded by a pack of Girls :) God knew what he was doing when He gave Sam daughters.

I have pictures to post with this, but that will probably be tomorrow :)

Love and hugs to you all!
~Michelle

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE reading your blog and living vicariously through your adventures. Scott leaves tomorrow for Dallas Texas for 5 nights.

Love,
Chrissy

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love hearing "mommy"- I sooooooooooooo hope I get to hear that one day.

Anonymous said...

Love your stories. We can hardly wait for you all to come home for a visit. You should be able to get a variety of pepper plants at any gardening store. The girls would probably love some dill. I'm looking for some. I love the smell of it and butterflies love it as well. I bought a small pot of violets today. The ones around the trailer are just now coming out but don't look too good. I'm so ready for some flowers. Another dog tried to hurt Princess today. It followed them right into the house. I'm not giving in again. No more walking for her. It only left two small bruises like scratches. Didn't break the skin. But that is just too much. She was so scared. Love Mom