The Three Little Kittens

The Three Little Kittens
Remarkably, they didn't lose their mittens!

Monday, December 3, 2007

Our trip to Asuke

This weekend we went to Asuke. I googled some information about it:

Asuke is a town of just over 10,000 residents in northeastern Aichi. In the Edo period (1603-1867) in particular, it thrived as a post town on the chumakaido highway, which was the route to transport the salt produced along the shores of Mikawa Bay in the 19th century. The town still has many old houses. In fact, most of the historic wooden buildings still standing are kept in good repair by the townspeople themselves, and almost all remain in use as homes, shops, or showplaces.

The Korankei Gorge, home to about 4,000 maple trees, is one of Aichi's best-known spots for viewing the brilliant colors of autumn. The gorge is illuminated at night during the foliage-viewing season when over 4000 trees beautifully change color.

We also visited Sanshu Asuke Yashiki. This is an old farmhouse from the early Meiji Era, reconstructed in 1980. Inside, aspects of farmhouse life and manual work are reenacted, including straw crafts, weaving and paper making, which were common features in every Japanese mountain village until the mid-'50s. We actually got to watch some weavers, paper umbrella makers, woodworkers, basketmakers, a lady making/using indigo dye, and a couple of ladies going through the processes of paper making. The highlight for the girls was a man with a trained monkey that wore a purple kimono. I'm pretty sure he was a snow monkey.

We will post pictures on our image event site (link above, to the left), but as Sam said, they just don't do it justice. The river is pristine with huge boulders, as well as rocks that fit the hands of 4 year-old rock-throwers. There were huge redwood-looking trees. The food, as typical for Japan, was very interesting. I had some rice stuck to a stick, which is then slathered with a BBQ sauce. I also had buckwheat soba noodles. The girls had pineapple on a stick and sausage on a stick. Sam tried a large glutenous ball covered in sesame seeds. I'll have to find out what they're called. We saw a lot of foods that looked really good, as well as some octopus and fish on a stick (head, tail, and all). It was a wonderful day!

3 comments:

My name is Tammie said...

What a fun blog! I love seeing the pictures so much. The only thing, I dont know if you want comments or not (if not I am so sorry!) but if you do you need to change the color of the font because I had to fish around to find the comment button.

Your girls are gorgeous. It must be a blast to have three daughters. I only have one girl and she is the light of my day many days. Boys are kinda fun too. ;)

Mrs. Glenn said...

Thanks Tammie!

I don't mind the comments at all. I had someone else point the same problem out. I like this "blog," but sometimes it gets glitches. I'll try and fix it. I appreciate you "fishing" and leaving a comment.

Can I ask how you found the blog? I love sharing our blessings with the world :)How old is your daughter?

Cindy Tucker said...

Wow - the pictures of the trees are absolutely gorgeous! As typical in Texas, our trees were colorful for about 7 minutes and now they're all bare!

I hope your parents are warm, safe, and dry. Oklahoma has had the worst ice storm in forever lately. The ice-covered trees are gorgeous, but causing problems - hopefully they are just able to look out the window and enjoy the view!

It's 36 degrees here and has rained all day, so it's been quite yucky. Hopefully you're getting better weather!

I miss you all!
=)Cindy