The Three Little Kittens

The Three Little Kittens
Remarkably, they didn't lose their mittens!

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Vacation - Turks and Caicos

Here's a link to our Turks/Caicos pictures: http://imageevent.com/tri_pod/vacation2008/turksandcaicos2008

After visiting Fort Worth, we went to the Turks and Caicos for a week. The island, Provenciales, is beautiful! The water was the most beautiful turquoise color, and was as clear as the swimming pool. We stayed at Beaches, which is an all-inclusive resort, so we ate and drank whenever we wanted.



We chose Beaches because they had lots of things for the girls to do. Several days, they went to Camp Sesame. They got to swim, dance with Zoe, Elmocize with Elmo, bake with Cookie Monster, and lots of other fun activities. The characters would drop in to play during the activities. The girls really enjoyed going, which left Sam and I to entertain ourselves during the day. Sam went scuba diving, and I hung out on the beach reading entertainment mags. It was really hard for me to relax, so I would go watch the girls swim. It will be interesting when they go to school - I think I'm going to be very lost for a few weeks :(



On his first dive, Sam saw a black-tip reef shark. He really enjoyed the diving. One day, he and I walked down the beach to go snorkeling together. It was a gorgeous area, and we saw lots of tropical fish, and several Barracuda! We would be swimming along, look up, and they would just be sitting still in the water staring at us - very creepy. Sam took me out further, and we saw two sea turtles eating grass on the floor. I found several pretty shells, a baby conch, and a sand dollar. On one of our last days, I went snorkeling at the beach in front of the resort. I was out for over an hour, and this adorable little fish stayed with me the whole time. I tried to shoo him away, but he insisted on staying write under my chin. Again this made me nervous with the barracuda, but he and I had a great time. When I saw something interesting, I used my fins to get there quicker. The little fish would be swimming with all his might to stay just a little out in front of me. When I got out of the water, he came to the very edge of the shore with me. He was a very charming little fish, but I'm sure I was being USED as cover. During that expedition, a man came in and asked if I'd like to see a ray. I followed him out, and he showed me a beautiful ray on the floor. It had this large fish following it to get scraps.



In the evening, we would hang out as a family. Sam found a guitar player, and the girls went several nights and danced on his stage. Several other children would dance also. The guy was so nice, and would even have everyone applaud the kids, but you could see the look of relief when the kids all left :)



At breakfast and dinner, there were two cats who would hang around the tables. Of course, the girls and I would feed them. They really enjoyed seafood night! They would even let the girls pet them.



The day before we left, we took a day cruise. They took us to Little Water Cay, which is an island inhabited only with Rock iguanas. They are only found in the Turks and Caicos. We saw several iguanas and several rays swimming in the water around the little island.



Next they took us to a beautiful snorkeling spot. One of the ladies on board said she saw a shark when she first got in. A school of trigger fish and some parrot fist hung around the boat. The captain gave the girls some Doritos to feed them - now I know why they come "running" when the boat shows up.



Our last stop was an island known for it's sand dollars. I found several that were still alive, and one that I could keep (dead one), but I broke it on the way in to shore. I found a starfish and brought it in to show the girls. Sam found a nice sand dollar on the shore. As we were walking back to our boat, another boat had come in. The crew had let off its passengers and were cleaning some conch shells. Next thing we know, there is a beautiful yellow shark coming up to the shore to get the conch meat. We had to tell Gracie to get out of the water. She saw something she wanted and could have cared less about the shark in the water. I'm guessing it was a lemon shark because it was a beautiful yellow color.



It was a wonderful vacation and anniversary present.

1 comment:

Cindy Tucker said...

Your trip sounds absolutely wonderful! I'm sorry you couldn't relax a little more, but at least you were in beautiful surroundings!

The pictures are beautiful. I love the pics you put up on your imageevent site of the girls.