The Three Little Kittens

The Three Little Kittens
Remarkably, they didn't lose their mittens!

Thursday, September 18, 2008

I Want to Talk About Me :)

I listen to music across the board, but I love the song, "I Wanna Talk About Me," by Toby Keith.

The girls are good, Sam is good, and I'm good. I've been sick for a couple of weeks now. If I were to stop talking long enough, I would probably get my voice back, but THAT'S not going to happen :)

I've gone to the doctor twice (two times more than I would like to). I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to go to a doctor who gives "American Strength" medicine or not. He is a cardiologist. He is married to an American, and they have triplet girls who are about 16 now, and a younger daughter. Anyway....

I should have all this extra time now that the girls are in school..........All the "seasoned" mums just laugh at me when I say that.

I love that I've met so many wonderful Japanese friends! I love spending time with the Lockheed Ladies, and I love spending time with Kirste, my Australian friend, whom I could listen to ALL DAY! I guess it's a good problem to have. I MISS, MISS, MISS my friends back home! I would love to be able to go to lunch with Cindy, Courtney, Lorrie, Nanette, or get a hug from Mom Glenn, or my Momma!

I am so excited to be teaching English to an amazing group of ladies. I love and have missed teaching, and my love is English, so this has been perfect for me. I am amazed at the intelligence of these women. The fact that they have asked me to help them with their English is an honor. Today, I met with three other amazing women, Naomi, Kumiko, and Toshiko who want me to help them with their English. Before you know it, there will be a Texas dialect present in Nagoya :)

Keiko, Chiyomi-san (Keiko's Mom), and I meet on Mondays to do a language exchange. We alternate meeting at one another's homes. Keiko teaches me Japanese, and I help her and Chiyomi-san with English. We also cook lunch for one another. I got to teach Keiko how to make Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Chiyomi-san has taught me how to make several traditional Japanese meals. It's a wonderful cultural exchange, and Keiko has my same, crazy sense-of-humor.

Keiko is also teaching the girls piano! She is amazingly smart! We have had two lessons so far. Gracie is bad about goofing off, but she is so "Busy." Sophie and Izzy seem to be more serious about it. Izzy will sit and practice - this may be her "THING."

I'm so excited about all the new, wonderful friends I've made, but I miss my Girlfriends back home as well! Thank God for the internet!

The girls have taken to Kindergarten quite well. Finbar is a wonderful teacher! I LOVE that the curriculum focuses on learning through play. They come home every night EXHAUSTED!! Again, it is wonderful that they are exposed to so many different cultures. Praise God for those who teach preschool and kindergarten! They should all be named as Saints :)

So, that's where we're at right now - loving the here and now, looking forward to the summer with family and friends....

Love and Hugs!
~Michelle

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shale, I needed your comments so much tonight. Dad had a not-so-good day for a while this evening but is OK now. I would love to have one of your hugs. But this blog brings back sooo many wonderfull memories of my Japanese friends. I felt closer to Tiko and Udiko than any other ladies I've ever known. I'm soo proud of you and Sam to set such an example for the girls by embracing a different culture as you have. I'm a little surprised that it isn't Sophie in love with the piano. But Izzy will be really good at it. She has the dexterity and muscle control to play well. Gracie will probably never be able to sit long enough to learn a musical instrument. I wanted so bad to play the piano but I could not stand to sit and practice. I did manage some with the clarinet but not enough to be good at it and my mind was always running off to somewhere else. Thank you for sharing some of yourself with us. We love to learn about you and Sam as well as the girls. Well your English is at least proper. You should have heard me trying with my Oklahoma drawl!!! It is so rewarding to connect with others in that way, isn't it. My friends showed us a side of Japanese life that was a gift to us and such good memories. Love you all. Mom

Cindy Tucker said...

It's so good to hear all about YOU!!! You know I love hearing about the girls, but I miss YOU, my friend, and am thrilled to hear that you're doing so well!

I'm sorry you've been sick - I'm just now feeling better myself after about 2 and a half weeks of a summer cold - nothing terrible, but it sure is irritating to have to sneeze and cough and blow your nose every three seconds!

I'm sure your friends are thrilled to have you teaching English - and I bet it does feel good to get back to teaching - you were (and are) a spectacular teacher, and they are very lucky to have you! Be sure to teach them how to use "y'all" correctly! =)

I sure do wish you were here so we could go to Chili's or On The Border or Pei Wei. (Okay, I'd be happy at McDonald's too if you were here!)

I look forward to seeing you as soon as you get back to the states!
=)Cindy